Easily Organize Kitchen Cabinets & Drawers
Sharing tips on how to easily organize your kitchen cabinets and drawers including the tools I use to get and stay organized.
If you are like me you have a plethora of items to store in your kitchen cabinets. All the various sizes, shapes, and categories of items can make kitchen cabinet organization a challenge.
Benefits of keeping kitchen Cabinets organized
Being organized in every area of our life is important and actually overall organization has great health benefits for our lives. Today I’m sharing with you how to get the most important room of your home organized.
- Helps save money so you will be less likely to buy duplicate items
- Save time when cooking, meal planning and making the grocery list
- Makes cleaning the kitchen easier when everything has a designated place
Those sound like pretty good benefits to me so let’s get started shall we?
Declutter Your Kitchen Cabinets & Drawers
Before you can organize you have to de-clutter.
Have your trash bin nearby and a box for items to donate. Then, take everything out of your cabinets and either place in the keep pile, donate box or trash bin.
Vacuum out all your cabinets and drawers and wipe them clean. You will be surprised how many crumbs and dust can accumulate in cabinets. Never put anything back in a dirty cabinet; always start with a clean slate.
You want to de-clutter before purchasing any organization items or trying to re-arrange items.
Group Your Kitchen Items
Once everything has been removed, sorted and cleaned it’s time to categorize your kitchen items.
Most people store their dry food, baking supplies and canned goods in a specific place and their tools, pots and pans, plates, glasses, etc. in another. Mixing drawers of granola bars with serving utensils is not the best approach.
Divide items into two groups initially:
- Any food type item
- Any kitchen tool, glasses, plates, etc.
Then create your subcategories from there such as: kitchen linens, cooking utensils, glassware, dishes, pots and pans, etc. Separate everything into their own category before moving on.
Designate Each item to their Own cabinet
Now step back and assess where and how you and your family use your kitchen. You want to organize kitchen cabinets in a way that work for you; not against you.
If you bake in a certain spot keep your baking supplies and tools in that same location. Think about the items you use most in your kitchen such as glassware, plates, utensils. I have all those drawers and cabinets right next to the dishwasher and it makes it easier to empty and put items away.
Don’t hesitate to change the location of where you previously stored items. Organize kitchen cabinets in a way that helps your workflow.
For example: The best place for my kitchen spices is in the drawer right next to my stove as I grab them often while cooking. If these were in the pantry it would take me longer to locate what I need and then walk back to the stove. Since they are at my right hand neatly laid out I just grab and use them with ease. You can Easily Organize Your Spice Drawer to make your time in the kitchen more streamlined.
Organize items for the upper kitchen cabinets
- Food: If you have a pantry, use that for food storage to free up your cabinets for other kitchen items.
- Glasses and dishes: Store glasses and dishes over either your dishwasher or drying rack to make putting away items easy.
- Food storage containers: Put food storage containers right above the counter space where you work.
Organize Lower Kitchen Cabinets
- Appliances: Place small kitchen appliances in the lower cabinets just below your main work area.
- Pots, pans, and baking sheets: Store pots and pans in a lower cabinet by your stove, and keep baking sheets near the oven.
- Mixing bowls and cutting boards: Keep these near the station where you prepare for baking. I keep these in my island as this is where I make cookies or roll out dough.
- Cleaning supplies: Never store cleaning supplies above or on the same shelf as food. Usually cleaning supplies are best kept under the sink for easy access.
Favorite Kitchen Organization Items
Additional Kitchen Related Articles
- Elements of Kitchen Design
- Organization Essentials for the Pantry
- Ways to Bring Your Kitchen to Life
Easily Organize Kitchen Cabinets & Drawers
Follow for home decor, DIY and to shop: Instagram | Pinterest | LiketoKnowit